RE: Master to Master Replication and availability

From: Justin Cave <justin_at_askddbc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:06:50 -0600

I generally dislike setting up replication for availability purposes. Data Guard is much simpler to configure and administer if that is the goal.

If you have an application that will be used by customers in a variety of geographic locations, though, there may be benefits to putting Oracle instances close to the users to insulate them from things like network glitches. You can be pretty confident that a user in Denver can connect to an Oracle database in the Denver data center, you can be pretty confident that a user in Mubai can connect to an Oracle database in the Mubai data center. You may be significantly less confident that both users can connect to an Oracle database in Tokyo.

In other words, if the goal is improving Oracle availability, use Data Guard. If the goal is improving system availability, replication might play a role.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC