Re: MS Server book

From: <bobmetelsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:06:14 -0400

DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:

>Thanks to everyone who has recommended Chris Kempster's ebook SQL Server
>2000 for the Oracle DBA. This book is really a marvel. Since most of my
>professional experience is on Unix, I feel that I need to learn more about
>the MS Server. Can anyone recommend a resource that can get me up to speed
>with what I will need to know about the MS server? It seems that the
>boundary between the system administrator and the DBA isn't as clear as it
>is with Oracle and Unix.

Hi Dennis

Not to over simplify this but I don’t believe there is such a book as windows 2000 server for the oracle dba. I’m pretty sure most of the administration books would gravitate toward using the server to authenticate uses, manage users, what the various ms services do - how to admin internet information server - how to recover from corrupt registries - domain controllers and he like. From a DBA perspective (my experience is exclusively on NT and 2000 server) there isn’t too much to it. I'd consider the following

Management
Right click my computer choose manage you will find services <-- what services are running
event viewer <-- error log
local users <-- system users

right click on those individual icons and that allows to change the properties

######################

CLI (command line interface)
command interface to run oradim orapwd etc start run cmd

and sqlplusw
start run -->sqlplusw scott/tiger_at_orcl

######################

environment variables
Right click my computer choose properties --> advanced --> env variables setting the path
Right click my computer choose properties --> advanced --> performance options sets the system page file

######################

File locations
During the install oracle will ask you for a home, you choose and area where you want the installation and OFA will live adjacent to that e.g. you choose C:\oracle you will get

C:\oracle\oracleinstall\
C:\oracle\admin\...
C:\oracle\oradata\...

The install will put the binaries in your path and the programs in your program list OEM

######################

Scripting
One thing I’m sure you will be hard pressed to find is a *decent* book on is cmd scripting. I’ve had better luck online

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html
http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/oont_management.htm
http://gearbox.maem.umr.edu/~batch/
http://purl.oclc.org/net/dirk/batcoll.all
http://www.deltaelectronics.com/tglbatch/

misc tools
http://www.tburke.net/info/reskittools/topics/az_body.htm

######################

Registry entries
Start run regedit
Search for oracle

You will find all the install and system configurations. Fairly intuitive.

Editors

Forget notepad
Get a good text editor for sql and CLI scripts http://www.editpadpro.com/download.html

The free version is excellent

I don’t mean to offend any MS SA's but from a dba point of view I really don’t think its gets more complicated than that. Or in the very least the above will get you well on your way. (unless you really want to be a SA which IMO is not at all necessary to admin oracle)

Email me if you have any specific questions, I’d be happy to help. Again, I believe any MS SA book is going to be very general and will not address oracle.

hth
Bob