RE: Database sloowww...trying to figure out why...

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:49:36 -0800

Chris,

An Apps Database is a complex beast, and does not respond to the normal tuning that a generic database would merit. [We have some Apps DBAs here in this list, and I am sure that they will agree]. Just wanted to state this beforehand before this becomes a free-for-all!

IMHO, there are two ways of looking at an Apps Database response problem - Functionally, and Technically. In the technical sense, you would look for and solve problems in the environment. This would include I/O response, CPU-load, Memory usage, DB parameter misuse or misconfiguration (*), missing or incorrect Statistics, etc. The (*) indicates that there are a number of init.ora parameters that should be set as per the recommendation without question, as deviation would mean that Oracle will not support you if you change them. Since you mention the DB tier is at 9203, I would look at whether you can move up to 9204 [03 has a nasty bug that sets all Wait events to 'Null Event']... As well, do you collect System Stats?

Functionally, you would look at what is slow, i.e. is it the Forms sessions, or the Concurrent programs, or interface programs, or Self-service Web apps, etc. What patch levels are you at, and how far behind are you, etc.? What modules are in use - do you use Multi-Org, MRC, etc. Are you managing the Purge routines properly? Tracing may be enabled in a variety of locations, depending on whether you are tracing Concurrent programs or Forms... [Btw, do you have an "Oracle Apps DBA" in place to understand these components?]

I believe that you would need to clearly define "what is slow" before even attempting to resolve it... Believe you me, I have been there, done that [in spite of Oracle "Experts" coming in and looking at BCHR and SP ratios finally suggesting large increases in Buffer Cache and Shared Pool successively!]

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Grace - Getting something we do NOT deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we DO deserve Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' <http://www.needhim.org'/> for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!