Re: Dataguard - primary database moved to another server

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:05:34 -0500

On 03/25/2004 02:16:04 PM, "Grabowy, Chris" wrote:
> Close, I took a look at v$database, and there is a activation# field
> in it, and the number, converted to hex, matches the number reported
> in the error messages on the standby database. So that is my problem.
> That activation# changed when the primary was restored onto the new server.

Looks like Oracle has created several database ID values, each for its own purpose. The reference manual mentions ACTIVATION# like this:

ACTIVATION# NUMBER Number assigned to the database instantiation

That means that Oracle has foreseen hackers like me that would try fixing the database ID outside of the RMAN context and would actually dig through the DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE package in order to do so. I am impressed. Mr. Sharman, please relay my compliments to Mr. Ellison the next time you two will be playing golf together.