RE: Hot Backups -- to Disk OR to tape direct

From: John Hallas <john.hallas_at_hcresources.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:37:53 -0000

EBU and RMAN (8.0.5) and RMAN (8i-9i) are 3 different products that cannot be compared in terms of reliability and functionality.

I am currently working at a site which allegedly is the largest RMAN user in Europe and probably the biggest Networker one as well. I think it fair to say we have very few errors directly caused by RMAN problems. We do get tapes stuck in silos, loss of Networker server, database hung and many other issues but we find RMAN totally reliable.

Interested in the cost of the MML libraries as I assumed you got them as part of the Networker license but I suppose that is all included in one big invoice.

Backing up to disks (assuming the disks are on the same server as the database) only partially secures the database and is still a single point of failure until they are secured to another server or to tape.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jay Hostetter Sent: 25 March 2004 13:13
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Hot Backups -- to Disk OR to tape direct

We use RMAN to backup to disk. The disks are later backed up to tape. We do this because:

  1. We had a horrible experience with RMANs predecessor - If I recall correctly, it was called EBU. Weeks were wasted trying to get this thing to work with tapes.
  2. The last time I checked (3 years ago? you had to purchase the media libraries to get RMAN to talk to the tape backup software.
  3. The last backup is readily available for restores. I don't have to wait for a tape.
  4. No hassels with the backup software failing or running out of tapes, etc. Just make sure you have enough disk space for backups.
  5. I assume backups to disk are faster than to tape, but this may not always be the case.

If you are using RMAN, you don't need the ALTER TABLESPACE ... commands.

Jay

> Conducting a survey here ...
>
> What is the preferred method of Hot Backups
> {where you do not have a SAN with SnapClones) and
> the database is large [say more than 80GB,
> against the DLT drive of 40GB tapes]
>
> 1. Scripted Hot Backup to Tape, spanning tapes in
> an AutoLoader configuration [the switching of tapes
> has to be scripted into the Hot Backup]
>
> 2. Scripted Hot Backup to Disk, followed by a subsequent
> backup to tape
> a. With a compressed image of the DB on Disk
> b. To an uncompressed image on Disk
>
> Assume : No Media Manager Libraries available for RMAN
> so backups have to be scripted with ALTER TABLESPACE
> BEGIN ... END ...
> Hemant K Chitale
> http://hkchital.tripod.com

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.

---