Re: Am I the only one who finds this offensive?

From: david wendelken <davewendelken_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:08:24 -0800 (PST)

I've been a member of this list for less than a week, and it's not taken me very long to realize that this poster likes to be a gadfly and sting one's thoughts with provocatively stated remarks.

I think the poster is making fun of DBAs who have the stupid idea that developers are "in the way" of the DBA doing their jobs properly, when in fact, if developers weren't doing their jobs, no one would need DBAs. There would be no databases to manage!

The history of the world is full of hateful, cruel, despicable actions done for stupid reasons. The holocaust is just one in a long line of such atrocities. It's just more recent than many and less recent than some others.

I also suspect that most readers had no clue of the origin of the phrase 'Arbeit Macht Frei' and therefore the references to the final solution, so consider it a free history lesson they needed to learn about.

Humor is a great way to learn about topics, even horrible ones. Check out the best-selling book Maus: A Survivor's Tale, written by Art Spiegelman, the son of a holocaust survivor. It uses humor to teach about the holocaust. It's a great book, and a great way to learn what it was really like from a very personalized viewpoint.

Besides, people make fun of darn near everything else, so there is no reason to get offended about this topic in particular. :) And, remember, pack that sense of humor in your briefcase each morning. You are sure to need it at work!