Re: Database for WebSphere5

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:31:26 +1100

IF you do any development, then Websphere does require a small DB2 database in the app server node for its metadata. However, it can be configured to logon to ANY database, including Oracle. It ships with a script that can be used to create that schema in Oracle. They say it is not supported, but that is just FUD: it works quite well. Had it running for two and a half years at my previous project.

Of course, if you do NOT do any development, then the app itself can logon to Oracle without the slightest hitch. Other than the default isolation levels that are off the shelf stuffed for Oracle...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia
dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au