9i listener for 8i DB not recommended???

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:29:46 -0600

Hey all,

While trying to debug a particularly nasty old app, I ran across this on doc 77442.1 on MetaLink:

 Please note that we don't advise to use a version 9 listener for a version 8 database
or a version 10 listener for a version 9 or 8 database seen there where many changes
to the NLS layers between those versions.

As Moe Syzlak says, "WHAAAAAA??!?" This is exactly opposite from everything else I've heard, although to be fair, I can't recall exactly where I've heard that. That and the fact that we haven't been using the ORA_NLSxx variable since it starting cauing problems when we migrated from 7.3 to 8.0, which accoring to this doc, is a no-no.

Comments?
Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_quadtechworld.com      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA