Re: oracle can ignore hints

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:35:32 -0700

If you are using a hint to address a performance problem with a query, you are probably dealing with the symptom. Use the hint as a temporary solution and try to identify the actual reason for the performance problem. For example, I used a hint to force an index lookup in a query where I was doing a "select * from tableA" as an index access path was quicker than a full table scan. The real problem was that tableA had a HWM set very high and over 90% of the blocks were empty. That is my real problem, not the query. By hinting the query, I 'fixed' it, but if I stopped there, all other queries doing FTS with tableA would suffer from the same performance problems that would be resolved by rebuilding the table.

Daniel Fink