Re: Unusual question

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:34:34 -0700

I don¹t know the answer to your question, but it reminds of something that happened 14 years ago on a project running Oracle v6.0.x on DEC VAX/VMS...

While we were debugging some situation or another, my colleague, who was Turkish, turned to me and stated, ³You Americans are *so* materialistic!².

Surprised, I laughed and asked her where that comment had come from (I didn¹t disagree, but it was quite a non-sequitor). She waved at the VT100 amber-screen and pointed out all the dollar signs: the VMS command-prompt (i.e. ³$²), the names of the V$ views in Oracle, the names of the VMS system-call functions (i.e. ³SYS$² and "RMS$"), etc...

Guilty, I guess... :-)

...interestingly (and ironically, I think), she is now a senior director (possibly VP) with Oracle Support in Orlando FL. Fast learner. Certainly faster than me...