Re: Re[2]: Oracle 911 Article

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 02:23:03 +1100

> The problem, of course, is that you could all too easily end
> up in one of those try-this-try-that-try-another-thing
> loops, and those are the sorts of loops that methods like
> Cary's avoid.

You know, folks? I just read the article. Was going to resist doing it as I always unlearn something when reading from that source. But everyone has done it. So might as well have a quick gander.

It seems to me this time Don hit the nail fair and square. There are silver bullets indeed. BTW, I do lay claim to being one of the first people to commonly use this term to describe unreachable "holy grails". It was used a lot by Ingres marketeers and I got the trait from them. It was out of favour for a long time but since I've used it again in c.d.o.s. a coupla years ago, it came back into favour.

Come to think of it, it's amazing the number of times I've used very specific terms and posting subjects in c.d.o.s. only to see them show up a couple of weeks later in one of Don's articles either in his website, a UG meeting or in dbazine... But, I digress.

He has correctly identified the silver bullets right up front. Fix ANY of these and you have NO panic clients:

. We outsourced our DBA staff to India. They can’t figure it out and suggested that we call you.

. Our DBA is on a three-week hiking vacation in the Rocky Mountains.

. Our DBA quit six months ago and we haven’t had time to find a replacement.

. We hired a guy and got him OCP certified, but we don’t think he knows what he is doing.

. We called MetaLink Support and we don’t understand their instructions. They said that we could call you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia