RE: Heterogeneous Replication

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_ddbcinc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:43:12 -0700

TFM is the Heterogeneous Connectivity Administrator's Guide = http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96544/toc.h= tm. The architecture section =
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96544/tgvsg= c.htm#9790 is an excellent introduction.

You have two paths to choose from in setting up Heterogeneous = Connectivity-- you can use Generic Connectivity or you can use on of the = Transparent Gateways. If you are using Heterogeneous Connectivity to = connect to a SQL Server database, you may want to consider using the = Oracle Transparent Gateway for SQL Server rather than using Generic = Connectivity. Oracle's Transparent Gateways are specific to one = database (i.e. SQL Server) rather than using the lowest common = denominator ODBC API that Generic Connectivity uses, but these gateway = products offer better performance and functionality than Generic = Connectivity. The difference between Oracle Generic Connectivity and = Oracle Transparent Gateway products lies in what you deploy for the = Heterogeneous Service Agent, so rather than deploying a Generic = Connectivity agent and configuring an ODBC data source, you would deploy = a Transparent Gateway agent that connected to the SQL Server database. = You can get more information on Oracle's Transparent Gateways at = http://www.oracle.com/gateways/. The downside of Transparent Gateways = is that they require an additional license.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Nikhil Khimani Sent: Thu 1/29/2004 8:38 AM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Heterogeneous Replication

L&G,

We are looking at replicating data from Oracle (8.1.7.0 and 9.2.0.4) to MS-SQL (2K). I would like to know if anyone has done this using heterogeneous services and if yes would you please get me started at = least
with the right links to RTFM. Anything additional will be gravy. We are = also
looking at Golden Gate solutions (for Oracle to MS-SQL) and I'd = appreciate a
feed-back, if anyone has had any experience with it.

Kind Regards,

Nikhil