[oracle-l] Re: Index block count

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:21:30 -0800

root, branch, leaf and data.
That's 4 blocks.

Jared

"Terrian, Tom (Contractor) (DAASC)" <Tom.Terrian_at_dla.mil> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
 01/27/2004 01:08 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        [oracle-l] Index block count

I have a b-tree, unique, local, prefixed, range partitioned index. The blevel
on all of the partitions is 2. There are no chained/migrated rows in the table.

I have a query that selects 1 record and only uses the index. I am not sure why
the query uses 4 blocks. I would think that it would just have to use 1 for the
branch block and 1 for the leaf block. Can someone explain it to me? (I have
run the query 8,000 times and the average blocks per execution is 4.1) Thanks,
Tom