Re: RE: Oracle vs Mysql

From: Nuno Pinto do Souto <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:29:25 -0800

> DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM> wrote:
>
> Sounds like the old Oracle vs. Ingress battles. Oracle won because it
> was
> better at marketing. All detailed in the book "The Difference Between
> God
> and Larry Ellison". I can see it now -- MySQL, the Oracle of the free

Bzzzt. Oracle won because it actually delivered a database that could be recovered from after a system crash. Which Ingres never did despite their claims to the contrary.

And because Oracle's product could actually deliver performance very similar to Ingres, despite the unilateral RTI claims that their code was "vastly" superior.

A similar situation to Sybase, really.
It's really very simple: Ingres lost because they did not over the years deliver any major improvement to the original Uni-developed code. They simply milked it out all it could, then folded. Typical attitude back then.

And I don't give a hoot what the book says: I WAS there, back then.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_wizofoz2k.com.au

Author: Nuno Pinto do Souto