Re: Oracle vs Mysql

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:04:25 -0800

I'm suspicious about using MySQL or Postgres with a database 100 gigabytes in size.
(Especially, when their main website appeared to be down when I wanted to check some of their recent references).

Anyway, if you have availability requirements which don't allow you to take down your system for backup, then you have to use replication (about which quality I'm suspicious again) in order to take "online" backups from a clone db. For that you need another 100GB of storage.

Anyway, if I was persuaded to go with MySQL or Postgres for large databases, I'd try to split them up somehow (kind of partitioning), if possible, to have separate databases with separate server processes serving them. That way taking down or crashing of one server wouldn't affect other data that much...

Tanel.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee