Re: What is the fastest way to dump oracle data into a human

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:29:25 -0800

Options #1 (Perl) and #2 (PRO*C) would be fastest and easiest. The PRO*C demo programs provide a decent start, for option #2. Option #3 (OCI) would be not faster than PRO*C and, due to the increased complexity of OCI, a more problematic approach.

SQL*Plus is the easiest method to implement by far, but the SQL*Plus program introduces a surprising amount of "overhead" processing, making it much slower than Perl or PRO*C, but much faster than UTL_FILE. If you are not in a big time crunch but want decent performance, use SQL*Plus. If you are in a time crunch and need the best performance, use Perl or PRO*C.

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com