Re: pga workarea and ora-04030

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:59:25 -0800

Both the PGA and PL/SQL tables are stored in the "data" (a.k.a. "heap") section of process memory in the Oracle server process.

If using Solaris, running the "pmap" utility against the Oracle server process is useful. I have a posted script named "oramem.sh" posted at "http://www.EvDBT.com/tools.htm" which uses "pmap" to provide a good idea of how much virtual memory an Oracle instance is demanding. For each process, it segregates "text" and "shm" (i.e. shared memory) from "stack" and "data" (i.e. private process memory). A "max()" aggregation is performed on the shared memory and a "sum()" aggregation is performed on the private memory, and the sum is essentially what the Oracle instance is demanding in terms of virtual memory.

Similar utilities exist for Linux and HP-UX...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com