Re: Suggestions Needed: Latch free - library cache

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:19:25 -0800

Having worked in an environment where every user was a distinct named user, and I therefore could (and at points did) have something 1700 distinct connections (yes, I said one thousand seven hundred).....

I like connection pooling. It limits the stress on the database, because the number of sessions is limited to the maximum of the connections. And I do work with them on that.

It has its drawbacks. Most notable, and one I did not get a good answer to at the Server Technology Forum at UKOUG, is that you cannot really do a 10046 trace on a session, as you can't distinguish sessions. Gaja says you can do that in 10g but telling me to upgrade to a not-yet-released piece of software doesn't help me now.

I'm working on a way around that, I *may* have one, but it's untested for the moment (I have to bully the programmers into changing code, which is as likely to happen as it is for me to win the lottery without buying a ticket).

In any case, connection pooling appears to be the way of the future for forward-facing web applications, so we have to deal with it

Rachel

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
Author: Rachel Carmichael