RE: Backups in a DW Environment

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 14:44:26 -0800

I put all databases in archive mode, i.e. dev, test, and production.  I can use test db's to test backup/recovery scenario's.  The only time they are not in archive mode is when I am doing a major load (import,sqlload,etc).  After I am done loading data, I put them back into archive mode.  What does it cost you, a few archives?  Ha, well worth it :).
Gene
PS. On a side note, Robert Freeman, your book is a must have using RMAN.  Thanks for writing it!

>>> Mark.Bobak@il.proquest.com 01/09/04 04:54PM >>>
My personal opinion is all production databases should be in archivelog
mode.  Period.  End of story.

Less down time, more recovery options....it's all good.

Having said that, given a specific business case, with a specific set of
requirements, one could argue for noarchivelog mode, and you might even
convince me...but I doubt it...;-)

-Mark

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company
Ann Arbor, MI
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and
a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."  --Unknown

Author: mkb
  INET: mkb125@yahoo.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services
Author: Bobak, Mark
  INET: Mark.Bobak@il.proquest.com

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us