RE: Templates

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:09:26 -0800

What do you have in mind? Data or structure? If it's a matter of data if you replace 'template' by 'table' and 'table' by 'view' in your question, the answer is yes. If it's a matter of structure (enlarging a column, for instance), the answer is no. You have templates of a sort in PL/SQL, when you define a parameter to be of table.column%type - if the definition change, the procedure will be automatically invalidated and recompiled. But this is not a syntax supported by 'CREATE TABLE' as far as I know. Dependencies are tracked by Oracle for stored objects only (procedures, functions, packages, views) - I mean structural dependencies, not data dependencies (foreign keys). The best you can do is write some procedure which follows the FK to PK links and duly alter tables when say a PK column has been altered, and perhaps have it fired by a DDL trigger on the 'master' or 'template' table.

HTH SF

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com