Re: International Language Support Experiences?

From: Dave Hau <davehau123_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:59:26 -0800

For clients that do not support UTF8, you can set NLS_LANG on the client server to the appropriate single byte character set. The Oracle client library will do the conversion to/from UTF8 when you store/retrieve data to/from the Oracle server.

In fact, using UTF8 on the Oracle server does not require _any_ of your client apps to use UTF8 at all. Suppose you have an Oracle server at your corporate headquarters serving the needs of multiple client apps around the world. The app servers in Asia, Europe, Africa, S. America etc. can each set NLS_LANG to their own _single byte_ character set and still, because the Oracle server at corporate uses UTF8 which is MBCS, the app servers can all share the same Oracle server.

HTH,
Dave

Author: Dave Hau
  INET: davehau123_at_netscape.net