Re: system tablespace at 50 pct_increase in 9i?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 05:44:32 -0800

Good point! Another war story...

Some 6 years ago, during v7.3.3 timeframe, a DBA decided to modify INITIAL, NEXT, and PCTINCREASE of everything, including stuff in SYSTEM. Unfortunately, he chose first to do this in pre-PROD (to become PROD following week). Turns out he ran into a little-known bug (arenąt they all, at first?) whereby any ALTER TABLE to the table named SYS.BOOTSTRAP$ causes a single bit to be set in the segment header block. This single bit being set causes ORA-00600 on instance startup.

You guessed it: the night before go live, they had a junior DBA stop and restart the instance at 12:30am. Poor guy stayed up all night, I got there around 6:00am, we found the cause and convinced Oracle Support to dial in and BBED the problem into submission by 1:00pm. MetaLink didnąt exist in those days ‹ we had access to MetaLinkąs predecessor, called łWebIV˛...

Donąt change the stuff in the SYSTEM tablespace, which includes the tablespace itself. Keep łforeign stuff˛ (i.e. not belonging to SYS, SYSTEM, MDSYS, ORDSYS, OUTLN, etc) out of it and just leave it alone.

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com