RE: OT -- Boston Globe job listings

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 06:54:23 -0800

Allan, the world is changing rapidly and what we are faced with is nothing less
then a complete failure of all social systems. The problem is that we need less
human work then ever before. ATM's, industrial robots, smart farming machines, internet
(how many shop attendants in bookstores have lost jobs because of Amazon?) are taking away
jobs. Airline pilots used to be glamorous characters. Now, their salaries start at $35k and
there is a rumor about the whole new generation of airplanes which will not need human
pilots. Hopefully, those will not run MS-Windows. In short, work ceased to be in short supply.
The problem is that there we have 6.5 billion humans on this planet and that we all want to
eat, have families, be healthy, have cars, cable TV and the internet access, swimming pools
and alike. Someone should better provide it to people if they are unable to provide for themselves,
or you will have crime, gated communities, social unrest and catastrophic system failures on all sides.
With the advent of mass education, we now have an oversupply of highly trained and
well educated workers, as well as the complete failure of management which still uses
the old time proven "drill sergeant" style. That is why so many damagers fret over telecommuting.
The net result is that the prices of highly qualified work like the DBA work are falling
and that there is no more security. We're living in another "fin de siecle" period, which
will probably end with some sort of solution in 2070. Unfortunately, you and me are unlikely
to benefit from that, although I'd like to see what the crazy sixties will be like. As I was
born in 1961., I'd be in my 100's so I will not be able to enjoy the goodies (and inhale).
I have no solution or answer to those problems, but the fact is that we're going to be
replaced by the machines. Arnold will be among the first ones.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA