RE: OT -- Boston Globe job listings

From: Wolfe Stephen S GS-11 6 MDSS/SGSI <Stephen.Wolfe_at_macdill.af.mil>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:59:37 -0800

<inline>

> But now I keep seeing
> articles about how much development work is being sent
> overseas. Has anyone seen that affect Oracle DBA work yet?

Huge discussions going on here at work about that very subject. So far, no one has come up with a reasonable argument for keeping the jobs in-house. At the gut level it 'feels' like we should keep the jobs in-house and that would be an overall benefit to the economy, too. However, the financial argument of should I pay 75K - 120K a year for US based DBAs or pay 45K - 80K for offshore talent is hard to beat. The money ranges I gave are contract employee/job shop type of quotes, IOW, a 75K US position would be for a junior DBA that is actually getting 35K-40K and so on up the skill range.

v/r

Stephen S. Wolfe, GS-11, DAFC
Data Services Manager
stephen.wolfe_at_macdill.af.mil