Re: UNDO Tablespace

From: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:04:23 -0800

otn.oracle.com

click documentation, books. answer is in the concepts document. The DBA is correct, but the answer could be simplified.

Undo creates before images of transactions. It only captures the before images of 'rows' involved in insert,update, and delete statements. Not all the rows in every table.

This is so that if you choose or if there is a failure you can 'rollback' to the state the database was in before your transaction started. Its also so that you can get a 'consistent' view of the database.

Lets say User A is running an update on Table A that takes 20 minutes. User B comes in and does a select that involves a SUM. User A may get to the first block which has already been updated, then go to a later block that has not been updated, so you get a view of the table that doesnt really exist. Its in transition. The Select statement will go to the rollback to see what the update looks like BEFORE the transaction takes place. This way you either have a select from data before an update takes place or after a commit, after the update, Not half and half.

you probably need to increase the size of your undo tablespace. Just get a hard disk and stick it on there. You can get 37 GB SCSI drives cheap.

Author: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net