RE: RMAN - Remote vs Local Backups

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:19:51 -0800

Dennis,

The cron job can run on B only if it is the same version of Oracle that is on A.

Jared

DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 05/29/2003 03:14 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: RMAN - Remote vs Local Backups

Walter - What you describe is the standard RMAN configuration. Box B contains the RMAN catalog, therefore it must command the backup. And so the
cron job must run on Box B. But the actual backup occurs on the target machine (A in your example). If you back up to tape, you must have an MML
(Media Management Library). You can also back up to disk (that is what I
do).

   Since the actual backup occurs on the target machine, not much network traffic is involved. RMAN sends some commands, the target sends some status
back, and that is about it.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.