Re: Confusion why online redo logs should never be backed up.

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 03:31:42 -0800

> Hemant,
>
> you said:
>
> > The advice should be to backup online redo logs already on disk
> > before beginning a restore. In fact, that is always a standing
> > instruction in any Oracle Database recovery -- backup what you
> > currently have on disk, no matter how badly "hosed" before you begin
> >the recovery.
>
> YAY!!!! That's a point everyone has been missing -- if you backup the
> mess you have, including controlfiles, online logs, datafiles,
> initialization files, you ALWAYS have a place to go back to if you mess
> up a recovery.

Hi Rachel,

Thanks, I needed some light relief today :)

Backing up during a recovery as mentioned above is slightly different than the daily/weekly backup scenario.

However, the reason why Oracle recommends backing up everything before a restore is to prevent the scenario when one accidentally overwrites the current online redo logs due to them being unnecessarily backed up in the first place!!

It's not the point I've been missing but a point I've been making !!

You've just gotta love the irony of it.

 Thanks for the smile.

 Cheers ;)

 Richard