Re: Confusion why online redo logs should never be backed up.

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 03:26:40 -0800

Hi Hemant,

I appreciate you're comments but I honestly haven't missed Jared's point and I remain unconvinced. I just don't accept the argument that such backups are warranted in case of junior DBA inabilities to perform clean backups or open with resetlogs. "Junior DBAs" in charge of important production databases that can't do the above are the issue, not the backup strategy. They're just as likely to overwrite the current online logs with the backups during a normal recovery or lock themselves in the toilet or some such ;)

Then again, it might serve the organisation right for employing such DBAs based only on OCP credentials !!

Cheers ;)

Richard
Author: Richard Foote
  INET: richard.foote_at_bigpond.com