Re: How do I know when my Shared Pool is the right size ?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 05:01:50 -0800

Well, your statspack should tell you that. If you have a huge number of library cache misses or invalidations, v$rowcache misses are growing and free space ("shared pool free memory") is always below shared_pool_reserved_size
(area that was left a side for big operations), then you have a problem.
I believe that the cache hit rate for the shared pool is very well described in
the literature. Here are some helpful queries:

select * from
v$sgastat
where name in
('free memory', 'db_block_buffers','log_buffer',
'dictionary cache','sql area', 'library cache');

select 'dc_hit_ratio' ratio, 1 step_order,(sum(getmisses)/sum(gets))*100 from v$rowcache
union
select 'lc_hit_ratio' ratio, 2 step_order, (sum(reloads)/sum(pins))*100 from v$librarycache
union
select 'bc_hit_ratio' ratio, 3 step_order,( sum(decode(name,

'consistent gets',value,0))
+ sum(decode(name,'db block gets', value,0))
- sum(decode(name,'physical reads', value,0)))
/ ( sum(decode(name, 'consistent gets',value,0))

   + sum(decode(name,'db block gets', value,0)) ) * 100 from v$sysstat
union
select 'roll_ratio' ratio, 4 step_order, round((sum(waits) / (sum(gets) + .00000001)) * 100,2)
from v$rollstat
union
select 'w2wait_ratio' ratio, 5 step_order, (l.misses/l.gets)*100 from v$latch l,v$latchname n
where n.name in ('redo allocation')
and n.latch# = l.latch#
order by 2

These two queries were taken from the tool called ORAC_DBA, written by the owner of this
list and Andy Duncan.

On 2003.05.15 04:21 Waleed Haggagy wrote:

> Hi
>
> How do I know when my Shared Pool is the right size??
> And Will increasing the size of my Shared Pool always bring benefits?
>

> Waleed Haggagy
> Cairo and Alexandria Stock Exchanges
> 4 A El Sherifein St. Cairo Egypt
> Postal Code 11513