Excessive ORA-12805 parallel query server died unexpectedly errors

From: <Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:02:11 -0800

List,

We are starting to see a very high number of this error on one of Production databases running 9i. We have not made any changes related to parallel query processing to the best of my knowledge.

One workaround was to turn off parallel query at the session level. Though this takes care of the batch programs, these programs are now running for a long time.

We have parallel degree set at 4 for tables having more than 1 million rows.

We have opened a TAR with Oracle and the recommendations include disabling rac at the oracle executable level since we are not using RAC anymore. Oracle expects the right tracing info. by setting event "10235 trace name context forever, level 2" at the database level.

I am curious to find out whether anyone has seen /worked on this error before.

Thanks,
Govind

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning and Real Application Clusters options JServer Release 9.2.0.2.0 - Production

SUN SPARC SOLARIS 2.8 on Sun E10K with 40 cpus.

/opt/oracle/OPatch> opatch -r lsinventory Retrieving inventory.
..
..
..

Installed Patch List:
2785282 [ Base Bug(s): 2442125 ]

SQL> show parameter parallel

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
_optimizer_percent_parallel          integer     50
fast_start_parallel_rollback         string      false
log_parallelism                      integer     1
parallel_adaptive_multi_user         boolean     FALSE
parallel_automatic_tuning            boolean     TRUE
parallel_execution_message_size      integer     4096
parallel_instance_group              string      online
parallel_max_servers                 integer     280
parallel_min_percent                 integer     0
parallel_min_servers                 integer     5
parallel_server                      boolean     FALSE
parallel_server_instances            integer     1
parallel_threads_per_cpu             integer     2
recovery_parallelism                 integer     0
Author: <Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com
  INET: Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com