Re: Shutdown Immediate hangs

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:54:49 -0800 (PST)

  1. Turn on PMON and SMON tracing for your instance and look at their trace files during shutdown
  2. Look for segments of type TEMPORARY with many extents that need deallocating prior to shutdown - this will be done "lazily" during shutdwn immediate
  3. Look for large transactions that need commit/rollback prior to shutdown
  4. Look for which processes are still alive during the shutdown, use lsof to trace them back to the client app OR select a list of sessions and their respective processes prior to shutdown
  5. Forget about shutdown immediate, use shutdown abort.
--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton