Shutdown Immediate hangs

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:46:31 -0600

We have been running Oracle 8.1.6 unchanged for several years. Within the past 3 days, our cold backup scripts have had a shutdown immediate hang. In the alert log the message is:

Shutting down instance (immediate)
Sun Mar 23 00:09:10 2003
SHUTDOWN: waiting for active calls to complete.

Normally the message is:

Sun Mar 16 00:04:06 2003
Shutting down instance (immediate)
Sun Mar 16 00:05:11 2003
ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL   Our immediate suspicion is that someone has implemented an application this last week that connects to the database in a more active manner than we've experienced before. Does anyone have any idea what I should look for (aside from asking each developer: "What did you do last week?". Since 3 systems have been affected, we are wondering if a process using a database link could cause a problem like this. Any ideas appreciated.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com Received on Sun Mar 23 2003 - 10:46:31 CST