Re: AW: Problem with netasst & dbastudio

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:33:50 -0800

per Doc ID: 225324.996

adding -nojit to edited netasst fixed this problem for me on 8.1.7.4 on rh7.1. Your milege will vary like a Saudi Utility Vehicle (SUV).

$./jre -?
(SUV)va(tm) Runtime Loader Version 1.1.8 Usage: jre [-options] classname [arguments] Options:

    -d                print runtime settings
    -?, -help         print out this message
    -v, -verbose      turn on verbose mode
    -verbosegc        print a message when garbage collection occurs
    -noasyncgc        disable asynchronous garbage collection
    -noclassgc        disable class garbage collection
    -ss<number>       set the maximum native stack size for any thread
    -oss<number>      set the maximum Java stack size for any thread
    -ms<number>       set the initial Java heap size
    -mx<number>       set the maximum Java heap size
    -D<name>=<value>  set a system property
    -classpath <path> set class path to <path>
    -cp <path>        prepend <path> to base class path
    -verify           verify all classes when loaded
    -verifyremote     verify classes loaded from the network (default)
    -noverify         do not verify any classes
    -nojit            disable JIT compiler

http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/jit/

In order to understand JITs (Just-In-Time compilers), you must first understand how the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) works. When you write a Java? application, such as the following "hello world" program:

class hello { public static void main(String argv[]) { System.out.println("Hello!"); } }

You first run "javac", the Java Compiler, which turns the Java code into what is known as "bytecodes" and puts them into the "hello.class" file. This class file can then be interpreted on any machine which has a Java Virtual Machine on it. The key word here is "interpreted". The Java Virtual Machine processes each of the bytecodes in the .class file and executes them. This is similar to what other interpreted languages do, such as Basic, LISP, and Smalltalk.

When a JIT is present, the Java Virtual Machine does something different. After reading in the .class file for interpretation, it hands the .class file to the JIT. The JIT will take the bytecodes and compile them into native code for the machine that you are running on. It can actually be faster to grab the bytecodes, compile them, and run the resulting executable than it is to just interpret them. The JIT is an integral part of the Java Virtual Machine, so you never notice it's there, except your Java runs faster. Some environments allow you to choose whether or not to JIT code.

OT:
Frontline gulf history last night, catch it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/longroad/

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:23:58PM -0800, Milen Pankov wrote:
> This didn't help. no processes were running, no processes were killed.
>
> maybe it's something else.
>
> now i've noticed (i don't know if it was there before) the dbastudio
> returns this:
>
> java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetExceptionjava.lang.StackOverflowError
> Cannot launch application oracle.sysman.vth.VthDdmgrApp
>

> To Milen Kulev: thanks for help. are you from Bulgaria?
>

> >From: "Kulev, Milen" <Milen.Kulev_at_BusinessMart.de>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> >Subject: AW: Problem with netasst & dbastudio
> >Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 05:48:40 -0800
> >
> >Hi Milen.
> >I had the same problemson my Linux box. On the console type "ps -ef | grep
> >jre ". Normally I see
> >a lot of zombie jre's [defunc]. Kill them all wich "killall -9 jre" (I
> >hope that no other application using
> >JRE is running at that time ;) ). Then try to start netasst or dbastudio
> >again.
> >It worked for me.
> >
> >HTH. Another Milen ;)
> >
> >-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu