RE: DB Refreshes

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:58:30 -0800

Hi all,

> I've begun taking the liberty of expecting poster to do
> some of their own RTFM.

Jared, are you sure this is a good idea ;-)

> Have you built large refresh groups? Until I here someone's
> experiences on the matter that state otherwise, I would still
> think it feasible.

We have about 77 tables in 7 refresh groups being replicated on an ongoing basis from a heavy OLTP system (Hint: An ERP application from our favorite vendor). DDL is rarely allowed on these tables, but we still have issues. When one group falls behind and there is heavier-than-usual DML on these snapshotted table, we frequently get ORA-0155 errors as the span of refresh becomes longer and longer. Comes a point when we have to selectively switch from FAST to COMPLETE for a few of the larger tables. And then we need to build up the privs and all other stuff around these changes on the target database... Very DBA intensive to say the least. The situation has improved since the time I started as we sorted out perf and rollback issues at the source.

> ( If on version 8+, trigger execution should not be such
> a big deal, as it's part of the kernel )

Yep - this is still on 7.3, and I haven't seen the equivalent in 8. The DBA management issues still remain though...

> As for snapshots breaking, I'm again assuming that
> the normal causes of this will be monitored and dealt
> with. Source server down, space issues, etc, are all
> things that should be monitored anyway.

Repairing lots of broken snapshots all at the same time is akin to trying to rein in a runaway train sometimes. (or is that me blowing off some steam? :)

> I dunno, maybe I'm expecting too much, but I've been
> surprised at the non-intrusiveness of running several
> snapshots on a busy and poorly written system.

Lucky you!

John

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com