RMAN recovery stuck

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:28:18 -0800

I am trying to perform an RMAN disaster recovery task. While I use an RMAN catalog to make backups, I am trying to recover using just the control file information.
Oracle 8.1.6, Compaq/HP Tru64

I start RMAN with

     rman target sys/password nocatalog
then,

     startup mount

run {
set until time "to_date('08/11/2002 01:00:00','MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS')"; allocate channel d1 type disk;
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs;
}

Everything appears normal for awhile. In the alert log RMAN tries to find each file, doesn't find them. Then it successfully recovers 5 data files
(including system and rollback) and reports success in the alert log. Then .
. . nothing for hours. RMAN doesn't return an error. The RMAN shadow processes are still present but with no CPU consumption. Nothing is written to the alert log.

     I check V$SESSION_WAIT, and the only entry for the RMAN shadow processes is one is SQL*Net message to client with seconds_in_wait = 0, state = waited unknown time.

     In V$SYSTEM_EVENT, time_waited and average_wait are zero for all events. The following events have values of total_waits that are increasing:

                                   Increase in total_waits in 10-minutes
   rdbms ipc message               401
   pmon timer                       57
   control file parallel write      56
   SQL*Net message to client        24
   SQL*Net message from client      24
   virtual circuit status            5
   dispatch timer                    3
   smon timer                        1

Archiving is turned off.

I have attempted this recovery many times using different RMAN backup sets, but the system always hangs at this point. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com