RE: what is wrong with this idea ...

From: Freeman, Robert <Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:23:43 -0800

I'd prefer to build a normalized ODS structure and then build any denormalized structures on top of it. Thus, I'd keep the Parent to Child relationship and put each status in it's own row, with a temporal time stamp. If you need some denormalized view of that (because of performance) then I'd build on top of it whatever structure (e.g. snowflake) you need.

Keep the underlying data store as normalized as you can. It makes detail analysis and drill down much easier IMHO.

HTH RF

Robert G. Freeman - Oracle OCP
Oracle Database Architect
CSX Midtier Database Administration
Author
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press - Oct 2002) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Mastering Oracle8i  (Sybex)

The avalanche has begun, It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Author: Gurelei
  INET: gurelei_at_yahoo.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 14 2002 - 11:23:43 CDT