Re:RE: what is wrong with this idea ...

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:53:49 -0800

I agree with Tom, from a practical point of view. Some 2 years ago this young whippersnapper came on board to design a data warehouse for us. One of his ideas was to concatenate a bunch of columns from the operational data into one column in the warehouse, store it as a separate table with an ID and foreign key it into the fact table. Well guess what we're breaking back up! Reason, you can't put all of the variables inside the mess he created. BTW, he did not just concatenate single characters, but strings, like 'High Temp'||'Nominal input voltage'||'Nominal Load'||.......... Ad nauseum

Dick Goulet

Author: "Mercadante; Thomas F" <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date:       8/14/2002 7:28 AM

Gene,

you asked what was wrong and I think everyone gave you their opinion.

you know by now that what you are told today will change next month. once you begin down this path, you will never stop. you know that as soon as you set this up, and they have written a ton of reports, that a new process will come along and will update the status field. then, you are stuck trying to update the parent record because it would "be too much work" for them to go back and fix their reports. don't give away the farm today if it will possibly cause you to purchase it back at twice the price later!

rules that I always follow:

1). keep the design as clean as possible 2). *never* design database tables to make programmers lives easier, while violating rule #1.

it's totally up to you. it sounds like your organization should entertain re-designing the warehouse for reporting needs.

good luck!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Gurelei