RE: missed Anjo's webcast..

From: Freeman, Robert <Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 19:08:18 -0800

>> Oddly enough, no complaints from users.

I signed up for but missed the presentation because I got pulled into a meeting with a manager of an
application who was complaining about his database buffer hit ratio...

ok.. not really, but I did get pulled into a meeting. I assume that one of the points
of the presentation was that the users are one gauge of performance and I'd agree
with that. Also, there is no criticism intended in this post, just a thought or two.

I'd like to make the point that sometimes users just get used to lousy performance,
and after a while they just stop complaining because they are ignored or management does
not push this information forward...(or perhaps the work environment is not conducive
to user feedback) so the users figure out how to live with it. So, sometimes,
we don't get that feedback. Then there is the issue of defining what slow is... the user
tells me the application is slow, but what does that really mean? So many times I've gotten
this type of response that it's slower this week than last week but when you try to get them
to quantify the statement they can not.

That being the case, we need a few thermometers to alert us to potential performance improvement opportunities. It is in the class of a thermometer that
I put the buffer cache hit ratio. It's just one of many indicators. By itself it means little or nothing,
but accompanied by additional evidence that there are some performance improvements
to be gained, it is useful.

I'll be looking up the archived presentation soon!!

RF

Robert G. Freeman - Oracle OCP
Oracle Database Architect
CSX Midtier Database Administration
Author
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press - Oct 2002) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Mastering Oracle8i (Sybex)

The avalanche has begun, It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net

Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com