RE: missed Anjo's webcast..

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 15:48:24 -0800

Sorry hit the return too quickly, Resuming

and

                   select a.aid, a.chnum, f
                    from rollup a
                    where a.effdt=(select   max(b.effdt) from rollup b where a.chnum=b.chnum)

Admittedly they are differ by the aggregate function (sum). The one with the sum was killed by the user, but statspack captured the following

EXECUTIONS DISK_READS      ROWS_PROCESSED      SORTS PARSE_CALLS BUFFER_GETS
-------------------- ------------------------- ----------------------------------      ---------- ------------------------ -----------------------
                   1                 2922                                  0        -7833                        1            9262161     for the first query
                   1                 1498                                 60          130                        1                11450     for the second.

It is obvious that the first query is more expensive than the second. However the first query has a better BHR than the second. So it should run faster :) I trap v$session_waits for active sessions every 5 seconds. Admittedly not as good as a trace, but it does give me some idea of what was going on when the query was run. I trapped 48 wait events for the first query and only one for the second. The one wait trapped for the second query was not significant, and nearly all the waits trapped for the second query were not significant either, except perhaps in their number. I did see a few "interesting" 'direct path read waits' interspersed with 'db file sequential read' waits indicating I/0 contention.

The query plans for the two statements were identical save the extra group by for the summation.

In conclusion, If I just looked at the BHR for the first state and were of the opinion. "the higher the better", there should be no need to proceed further; .999684622 is pretty darn good.

I don't pay daily attention to the BHR. Most of my time is spent ferreting out bad SQL. So every morning I look for statements involved with significant waits, look for high disk reads, buffer gets, and check to make sure the full table scans are legitimate. If there are problems less expensive transitive queries are written or the developer is instructed to "materialize" a complex join as part of the process. Drop table followed by CTAS can solve innumerable problems.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu <mailto:ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu>

[MacGregor, Ian A.] -----Original Message----- Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 2:44 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

First, I didn't see the broadcast. I believe the claim that a high BHR may not indicate a healthy system, has become it is always indicative of an unhealthy system. Egad, by BHR is over 90% and no users are are complaining, I better start tinkering! Isn't the idea that BHR is an unreliable indicator .

Here are two statements :

                 select a.chnum, sum(a.f) f from rollup a where a.effdt=(select max(b.effdt)
                 from rollup b where a.chnum=b.chnum)
                 group by a.chnum

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net