Select * is hanging(on a particular m/c only)

From: Naveen Nahata <naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 08:56:47 -0800

Hi All,

Now there is something as simple as "SELECT * FROM table WHERE ROWNUM < 5" which is baffling me.

On one of the machines, when I run this query it hangs. SQL*PLUS version on that machine is 8.1.7. On the same machine if I give "SELECT a_few_columns(because it has 178 columns) FROM table", it works perfectly fine.

If I run the same query "SELECT * FROM table WHERE ROWNUM < 5" on another machine with SQL*PLUS version 3.3.2 and 8.0.5 it works perfectly fine.

Some more information(if necessary):

The table from which I'm selecting is actually a "synonym" in X schema which is pointing to a view in Y schema which a based on a few tables in some other schemas.

I tried changing some SQL*PLUS settings like Arraysize and Maxdata, but no use.
Moreover it is also giving error in a tool I use to fire queries(Golden32 from Benthic), so there should not be anything wrong with SQL*PLUS settings.

The machine where the query runs in SQL*PLUS it also runs in the tool, and on the other machine it doesn't work on both. Obviously there is some problem with some setting on that machine.

But which setting and what? What can I possibly be missing? Any leads?

TIA
Naveen

Author: Naveen Nahata
  INET: naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 07 2002 - 11:56:47 CDT