RE: Guys: Is this worth $1,749 for 8 year Oracle veteran DBA

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 16:28:24 -0800

SoftPro doesn't seem to know about it yet.

However, Bookpool.com, Amazon.com, Powells.com and of course, Ora.com all seem to know about it.

Jared

"Fink, Dan" <Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
08/02/2002 02:28 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Guys: Is this worth $1,749 for 8 year Oracle veteran DBA

Jared,
                 I agree with your advantages. I am a big believer in the
last point.
If you don't know how stuff works, you are helpless in the absence of the tool (I'm dealing with this frustration right now...not me, but someone else
who can't live without a certain tool). I am a big believer in figuring out
how things work (a few on the list can vouch for me on that one...), but it
is not always the most economical method to manage many systems. There comes
a point where you don't need to reinvent the wheel and update it for each new release. I don't have access to the advance releases and all platforms of the oracle server, so I am limited in what I can do, even if I had the time.
                 Any tool, whether it is GUI or TUI (like a shell script
that runs in
a cron and emails), can cause disconnect. The fault lies not in the tool, but in the user. Tools don't cause disconnects, People do...

Dan "Waiting for Perl for Oracle DBA's to hit the shelves at SoftPro" Fink

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

Author: Fink, Dan
  INET: Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com