RE: Guys: Is this worth $1,749 for 8 year Oracle veteran DBA

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:28:20 -0800

Dan,

you as someone who figures out how things work? Nah :)

I'm STILL trying to understand the deep detail you went into on the undo segments.

Okay my two cents on this. Tools are great IF you know their limitations. And the only way to know the limitations is to know how to do it manually.

For years I supported production systems. While in the office, I had the advantage of many of the monitoring tools. If there was a problem in the middle of the night, the dial-up line didn't really support my running the tool

I also don't always have the luxury of time to invent that wheel. Too few DBAs with too many projects means I'll take whatever tools I can get.

On the other hand, I have a developer here, senior person, who moans and whines when she can't use SQL Navigator or PL/SQL Debugger to write code and test it. I mean, you CAN use SQL*Plus to do this but you'd think we were putting her on the rack when she has to.

Rachel

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better http://health.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael