Re: Oracle Corp. move to India

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 04:48:22 -0800

When your government sees evidence that the loss of high skill jobs in this country impacts our prosperity as a nation, perhaps something will be done about it. Until then, if moving operations overseas benefits the corporation and its stock holders, your job (and mine) really doesn't matter much to the people in power. There are thousands who have been down this road before and no one, not the government or the governed (who happily buy anything made anywhere as long as the price is right) cared when steel and fabric mills, shoe factories, electronics factories, and the like all closed up as production went overseas. The fact is that, overall, the economy keeps growing and many people view such events as a natural course in the evolution of a nation. Learn to adjust to the times. When you can't find employment in your chosen field, it is time to re-group and re-engineer yourself for present realities. Unfortunately, like some of my industrial engineering friends, that can often mean working retail into your retirement years.

Glenn Stauffer

Author: Glenn Stauffer
  INET: stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu