RE: Oracle Corp. move to India

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 02:48:20 -0800

Hi All,

I believe this *is* already happening, i.e. the flow of Development contracts *outside* of Oracle. Other than that, I agree with all that has been stated. And not only in software, but in manufacturing, even high-tech (Silicon technology, including design, testing and fabs). And before we start bashing a certain country, let me state that (a) various sectors flow to various countries (manufacturing to China/Taiwan, Design to S'pore, IT Development to India, for e.g.), although there is a disproportionate flow as far as IT goes (b) I have also seen a 'reverse flow' (East to West), so this is all not one way.

First, let me explain (b). I used to work in the Far/Mid-East for Petroleum companies who found that employing Western Petro-technical talent locally was costing a lot - there was the 'hardship' as well as relocation/travel costs on top of better-than-equivalent salaries. Most of this talent was working on Siesmic logs that were extracted by people on the field and sent back to the office, with no need to visit the field itself. Management 'relocated' the talent back to the base western country, setup fast networks to ship these logs, used the Eastern daytime to generate these logs, ship them immediately, and process them during the Western daytime (Eastern nightime), thus reducing both cost _and_ turnaround time. Project timelines increased dramatically. Of course, Email, Voice and Video-conferences were heavily used...

As far as IT Development goes, the way I have seen it works is this: Company XYZ from country ABC locates a few *senior* people with the appropriate communication and socio-cultural skills onsite to front-end the Development effort. The bulk of the team works offshore using specs generated by this smaller team. Works well - hourly rates are low, turnaround/fixes are quicker, and all comminucation and the human-element, touchy-feely provided by the smaller onsite team. But the bottom line is of course cost. I have seen this model work way back in '86 when I was on the other side of the pond (so to speak), so this concept is nothing new.

Oracle has had support centers in UK, India, Dubai (I think this has been relocated to India), Australia, etc for a while ('chase the Sun'). The Dev Center is new, and I heard that most of this will be Oracle Applications...

What one has to do though is to watch 'Production Support' activities being farmed off. Now _that_ would *really* worry me... But I will post a list of things that I think may work against this if someone is interested.

Sleepless in San Jose!
John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DB Soft Inc