RE: Statspack Intervals

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:39:54 -0800

I don't think it will. V$SQLAREA gives information on executions, disk reads, logical reads, etc. It tells nothing about waits. Joining the two tables you mention does not show you who has been running the queries, just who parsed them originally. Yes, the rest of statspack does have information on wait events but it is not tied back to the queries which caused them.

Developers sometimes call complaining of problems with third party products. There are products on the market which manipulate data by fetching it from the database, performing the change on the client, and pushing it back to the database. If a user called while the process was running, you'd look at V$SESSION_WAIT and see that the database was waiting on the client to process the data. You would then tell the developer, that it's that #$%!*! third party product causing the delay.

What happens if the developer mentions the problem the next day. Do you ask them to repeat the job so it can be monitored? I want to be able to look at the wait events of the session that ran the job the previous day.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jul 10 2002 - 16:39:54 CDT