RE: Comments on Upgrade to 8.1.7.4 or 9.2?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 14:53:20 -0800

Chris - The choice you present is rather dramatic, between an old, stable version like 8i and the new, cutting edge of 9i release 2. Frankly, 9.2.0.1 hasn't been out long enough to get many miles. But there are many, many other considerations. Perhaps you can describe a little more of your situation. Are there any compatibility issues that will prevent you from going to 9.2 across the board? Probably few vendors have ported their wares to 9.2. Are these very stable applications with critical reliability requirements, or brand-new applications written in-house? How long will it take you to convert all these databases? If it's going to take the better part of a year, I would be confident that 9.2 would be mature enough by then. A shame to put a lot of work converting many applications/databases to an older version.
Dennis Williams
DBA, 20% OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com