RE: Multiple Oracle Homes on Unix

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:06:46 -0700

Yes. I have had 7.3.4 and 8.1.6 databases runing together just fine.

There are two schools of thought on this.

  1. 2 seperate IDs and homes
  2. The same ID and same home.

With the first version you setup your 2 id's (They can have the same group) and point those IDs to 2 seperate homes. Each ID will have different profiles that will setup the appropriate ORACLE_HOME, Paths, Sids, etc.

The second version is a little more complicated but was the one we used.

We used 1 id and therefore 1 home.

By default NO ORACLE VARIABLES WERE SET. This way if you did not do the next step, you could not login and screw up the DB.

Next , we create a script that setup the correct Oracle Home and Path variables when you choose it from a menu. This way, we could log into 1 ID, choose which instance we wanted to go to, and then get all the variable setup.

It worked very good.

But, if you are more of a Novice Unix person and Oracle DBA I would suggest 2 seperate homes. It eliminates the headache of creating the other environment setting script.

Kevin
Author: Browett, Darren
  INET: dbrowett_at_city.coquitlam.bc.ca

Author: Kevin Lange
  INET: kgel_at_ppoone.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Sep 12 2001 - 19:06:46 CDT