RE: OT -- suggestions to ensure nerdiness in potential IT

From: JOE TESTA <JTESTA_at_longaberger.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 22:50:02 -0700

Ivan, if you get the opportunity to attend an IOUG(my preferred one) or an openworld event, there is usually a gettogther of the people from the list, so you can place faces/w email addys :)

check with the Goddess(AKA rachel), she's usually at both :)
joe
>>> Ivan_Rivera_at_doh.state.fl.us 08/02/01 12:35PM

I have to agree with Kevin, this thread is great. However it makes me feel like I really am in the wrong profession, at the wrong time in the wrong place :( .
In 1981 I was 5 years old and I've never really touched a computer until about 3 years ago, let alone know any of the answers to any of those questions.
You guys are great! I have learned so much from this list.  Not only the technical stuff but learning about the IT and dba culture from you all is invaluable!  I went to school for psych, so some of this old school talk that us young ones would hear from college cis professors I unfortunately never received, much less the knowledge of that curriculum. I am speechless when I step back and look at this list and realize how diverse this list really is.  I mean we have list members from so many parts of the world and from so many different walks of life.  Who would have ever thought that this young Puerto Rican punk from the 'hood would have anything in common with you all?
I can see us all now at a bar after an oracle event, me in my baggy jeans, timberland boots, Iceberg shirt, etc. enjoying beers with you all. Everyone enjoying and sharing a common bond (dba, oracle) that brings us all together.  Most of you all's peers wouldn't even look our way or have two words for me and my friends in our natural environment. But I think I'd feel just as comfortable around you all as I do at a block party in Bed-Stuy or chilling with some of my friends in Liberty City, Miami. All I can say the list is: I GIVE YOU ALL PROPS AND I GOT MAD LOVE FOR YALL! (translation: I hold you all in high esteem and greatly admire and respect you all). Thanks for everything. Ivan  Received on Fri Aug 03 2001 - 00:50:02 CDT