Re: Help, processes won't die

From: Jon Walthour <jonw_at_fuse.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 11:56:25 -0700

Ruth:

Just a couple of notes: first, PMON, not SMON, is responsible for process cleanup--clean up of the components of failed transactions such as cache entries, locks and other process resources. In instance recovery, PMON will rollback any uncommitted transactions. On the other hand, SMON recovers temporary segment space when it's no longer needed, coalesces contiguous areas of free space in database tablespaces where PCTINCREASE is greater than zero, and recovers dead transactions skipped during crash and instance recovery because of file-read or offline errors, which are eventually recovered by SMON when the tablespace or file is brought back online. So, PMON is the instance process needed in this situation.

Second, if Ivan were to perform a shutdown abort in this situation, it would bring the instance down real fast, that's true. However, startup would take that much longer and would require recovery of the database and transactions could be lost. I would not recommend a shutdown abort except as a last resort.

Hope this helps.

Jon Walthour
Author: Jon Walthour
  INET: jonw_at_fuse.net