RE: Another Database Down

From: Burton, Laura L. <BurtonL_at_prismplus.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 06:13:07 -0700

<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
<SPAN

class=953224006-25052001><FONT
color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><snip>
Just
to put you a little more in the picture I have recovered a couple of DBs now without archived redo log files etc where all hope had been lost and resumes were being updated and got them back by fudging a couple of issues. (Oracle would probably throw their hands up in horror and refuse to support what I did, but the database opened, I didn't lose any data (this I believe was down to good fortune rather than skill) and everyone was happy.
<SPAN

class=953224006-25052001><FONT
color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2>(snip>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>Lee
<SPAN

class=953224006-25052001><FONT
color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><snip>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
Lee, I
am just glad someone has responded and wants to help!
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
I am
not sure how much I told you about my situation, so bear with me while I recite it to you.  Our OS is Windows NT.  We had 2 disks to crash.  Two of my databases are ok because I had archive logs for one and a cold backup for the other.  However, I have one that I have not done anything too as far as backup, other than a physical backup of the database datafiles, redo logs, etc.  The Sysadm had a full backup of the previous Friday and a differential backup from the following Thursday which he loaded back to the server when the new disks were installed.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
tried to recover the database and when it asked for the logs I entered cancel.  It said that recovery was successful but gave me a warning that if I tried to open the database with the Resetlogs option it would tell me that my system datafile was too incomplete (or something to that affect).
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>Yesterday (Thursday) I did call Oracle and this is what this first guy had me do:  1) Startup Mount    2) Select from v$datafile to check the status of my datafiles.  They were all online, which per Support, that was not good.  3) Alter database datafile ??? offline.  This command gave me the error 'offline immediate disallowed unless media recovery enabled (ORA 01145).
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
So
then I was referred to another Support person.  He had me shutdown the database, startup mount, recover database.  Of course the recover asked for a log and Support had me input each of my five redo logs, but the log with the info needed had already been overwritten so the info wasn't there and I didn't get any further.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
Next
Support wanted me to restore my files from the Friday backup only.  This is where I have stopped because now I am waiting on my Sysadm to come in and restore them for me.  I tried to call the Support guy back and let him know the status, but got a message stating that because I had only 'basic or bronze' support that I could only speak to someone between certain hours, and then was cut off.  I had gone through Metalink though so I just updated the tar.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
If you
have any ideas for me I would appreciate any and all.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>Thanks,
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>Laura
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

size=2>  Received on Fri May 25 2001 - 08:13:07 CDT